The value and benefit of digitised resources for learning, teaching, resource and enjoyment
This research is the product of a JISC funded project to investigate the values, benefits and impacts of digitised resources.
The full report is available here.
Who is this document for?
This document draws evidence from a wide number of sources and seeks to provide a compelling account of the advantages of digitised content. The aim is to provide key information and strong exemplars for the following primary stakeholders:
- Memory institutions and cultural heritage organisations such as libraries, museums and archives.
- Holders and custodians of special collections.
- Managers, project managers and fundraisers who are seeking to justify further investment in digitised resources.
- Academics looking to establish digital projects and digital scholarship collaborations with collection owners.
- Publishing, media and business sectors which may be considering the best means to collaborate and align with collection owners, with academia or memory institutions.
There is a high level, shorter, visually rich version of this document aimed at strategic, political, policy making stakeholders.
What can you do with this document?
This report performs the task of synthesising information relating to the benefits of digitisation and helps to provide a compelling argument for future digitisation work. Thus, you will find in this document information on:
- Where the value and impact can be found in digitised resources,
- What modes of value and impact are achievable, and
- Who are the beneficiaries gaining from the impact and value?
Special attention is worth paying to the section upon 5 modes of value for digitised resources in Creating Digital Britain. The basic value modes suggested here may act as a guide for future digitisation impact assessment. If these value models to society as a whole are satisfied then many other benefits identified in this report will also accrue.
This document therefore provides strong information to support:
- Fundraising and revenue development plans,
- Audience development,
- Designing evaluation and impact assessment,
- Project planning, and
- Planning educational activities to augment digitised resources.
Re-use, divide and repackage this document for your benefit. Please attribute the source/authorship according to the licence, but feel free to re-use.